Monday, January 25, 2010

Something Unusual That Happened


I was having my Electone class when my classmate, who is a polytechnic student, broke down when the teacher questioned her rustiness on the electone. She was extremely upset that her parents often quarreled or should we say they quarreled everyday. This had intrigued me as she was often the jovial type, the person who adds life to our lesson (we do not really talk), she had suddenly broken down.


It’s normal for parents to fight or argue from time to time. They often fight due to disagreement about money, home chores, or how to spend time. They might even disagree about little things that don't seem important at all. Or maybe they had a bad day at work, or they're not feeling well, or they're really tired. Just like kids, when parents aren't feeling their best, they can get upset and might be more likely to argue. Most of the time, arguments are over quickly, parents apologize and make up, and everyone feels better again.
Most of the time, parents would sit down the next morning, have breakfast together and even go out together.


Loud voices and angry words (and sometimes vulgarities) parents might use can make kids feel scaredsad, or upset. Even arguments that use silence — like when parents act angry and don't talk to each other at all (giving the cold shoulder to each other)— can be upsetting for us.


If the argument has anything to do with the kids, kids might think they have caused their parents to argue and fight. If kids think it's their fault, they might feel guilty or even more upset. In worst case scenarios kids may feel depressed and could not concentrate on their studies.


It's important to remember that the parents are arguing or fighting, not the kids. We shouldn’t stick our nose into their argument. We just ignore them or retreat into our room. I usually just get my head stuck in my books or stuff my ears with my earphone.


However, it's essential for parents to fight every now and then. As this allows them to get feelings out in the open instead of bottling them up inside. After their quarrel, they may understand each other better than before and feel closer.

My classmate soon wiped her tears off her face then returned to her normal self, happy and talkative as ever. I appreciate her courage to spit this incident all out, making her feel better.

My parents had just argued on where to have dinner as my brother insisted on having seafood but my mother was having a sore throat and did not want to aggravate her symptom. I supported my mother but Dad was with my brother. We were already in the car! Soon, we reached the junction where turning right was for steamboat, turning left was for seafood. I could see my dad in a dilemma. He gave in to my mum but my brother went sulking the whole dinner (He have got attitude problem). See, minor things can cause a conflict and things will return to the norm really soon! (The steamboat at Nomin Steamboat Restaurant Rocks! MUST TRY! It's near Lim Tua Tow Road (I like this unique road name))

Not worry if your parents are having a conflict. It is a healthy sign that they still cares for each other. If things are getting out of hand, consult your school teachers or councillors they know what's best for you! 
It's late now and I still have to learn my 听写 (Chinese Spelling) for the 3rd chapter! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment